Every April, we celebrate Earth Day, and BMC is again taking it a step further with a whole month of activities for our own Climate Action Month.
The United Nations has 17 Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs) that are the “blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all by 2030” with a focus on preserving land, water, and air, and the biodiversity they sustain. And climate neutrality is the goal of the EU’s Green Deal, which seeks to eliminate net emissions of greenhouse gases by 2050, separate economic growth from resource use, and create inclusive opportunities for everyone. A quarter of the €750 billion fund is dedicated to climate action.
How BMC is helping
At BMC, our corporate social responsibility (CSR) work is rooted in helping to solve the issues raised in the UN SDGs. We do this while also fostering innovation to help businesses and ourselves evolve to an Autonomous Digital Enterprise that includes everyone.
A commitment to minimize or reverse the environmental damage inflicted by humans and the climate change events that have spawned significant weather events such as wildfires, flooding, increased hurricane activity, warmer oceans, and extraordinary winter storms—all impacting people and wildlife—spans many of the UN SDGs. Goal 15 is to, “Protect, restore, and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, and halt biodiversity loss.”
BMC is proud to work with Reforest’Action, One Tree Planted, GreenThumb, and Vashundara in their missions to do that. To date, we’ve helped plant over 65,000 trees across 46 countries around the world to store tons of carbon dioxide, create tens of thousands of animal shelters, and generate over 260,000 months of oxygen.
As part of our commitment to the environment, BMC has also joined the Business Ambition for 1.5° C campaign and is dedicated to achieving science-based, emission reduction targets across our business to reach net-zero value chain emissions no later than 2030. And we maintain Global Accreditation for ISO 14001:2015, a guideline for our environmental management system policies and practices, which include:
- Reducing the use of consumables by recycling equipment, waste products, and redundant items (which we often collect and redistribute through device drives)
- Training our global procurement buyers on circularity and sustainable and ethical purchasing
- Reducing travel impact through collaborative technologies, and recording and analyzing data to best manage our carbon footprint when we do travel
- Training our development team on software eco-design principles to reduce the energy consumption of our products
- Focusing on ethical IT asset disposal and circularity initiatives in our supply chain
- Honoring our employee service anniversaries and celebrating new hires with the gift of reforestation through our partnership with One Tree Planted
We’re also continuously investigating opportunities to renew and expand on our commitment to be a sustainable, environmentally responsible organization, and we encourage our people to do so as well through our BMC Cares volunteer organization.
This Climate Action Month, Earth Day, and all the other days, you can make a difference by making one small change every day. We invite you to join us in practicing and implementing sustainable living with our Climate Action Month 30-Day Sustainable Living Challenge, a handy downloadable calendar of activities that you can do on your own or as a group. Share your activities on your socials and tag us with #GoGreenwithBMC.
These are some of the other environmentally responsible activities we’re encouraging among ourselves, and hope you’ll join in, too.
- Learn how your organization can align its ESG and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives with the UN SDGs
- Take a LinkedIn Learning course on sustainability
- Recycle old batteries
- Discover how to extend the life of your clothes through proper and sustainable care
- Support wildlife conservation efforts from your PC by reviewing live video feeds to look for and identify animals with ZSL Instant Wild
- Dig out your old phones and donate them to Medic Mobile, which refreshes them and puts them in the hands of first responders
- Donate your old PCs to Comp-U-Dopt so they can give them to students who need them
- Download the CleanSwell app and volunteer to help pick up trash along local waterways
- Consider plant-based meal swaps